On September 18th, Magento have released an extensive range of security updates and performance enhancements for Magento 1, 2.1 and 2.2. Amongst hundreds of updates here are the main highlights:
This extensive update paves the way for the major release of Magento 2.3. The upcoming features of the next Magento version were announced at the Magento Imagine conference in April.
The fixes and enhancements detailed below also improve Magento 2, to encourage migrations ahead of the Magento 1 End of Life date in June 2020.
We recommend that you familiarise yourself with the new features and prepare to update your Magento platform as soon as possible.
Magento Commerce 2.2.6 + Magento Open Source 2.2.6
This release includes 25 critical security enhancements, over 150 core code fixes and improvements, and over 350 community-submitted pull requests.
Core Code Highlights
Core code highlights bring substantial improvements to performance and speed, as well as improvements to the reliability and ease of the checkout process.
- Optimising the category product indexer logic, and catalogue rule re-indexing operation, has improved re-indexing time by up to 98%.
- The catalog:image:resize command now takes up to 90% less time to execute.
- The catalog price indexer is now scoped and multithreaded.
- Loadspeed for store homepages with multiple menu categories, or categories with more than 500 configurable attributes, has been dramatically reduced.
- The option to disable Magento Report functionality can also boost store performance.
Front-end Experience Optimisation:
- Reloading the checkout page no longer causes the cart contents or shipping address to disappear.
- The speed at which Magento places an order is no longer affected by how many shipping methods are available.
- Configurable products are now sorted by visible prices as expected, removing out of stock options.
- Magento no longer sends duplicate delete requests as a result of an unstable Internet connection.
Magento Cloud Highlights:
- The addition of a Docker Compose configuration.
- Merchants can now change store locales and define multiple locales without the exporting and importing configuration process.
- A new workflow allows users to add a robots.txt file and generate a sitemap.xml file for a single domain configuration, without requiring a change to the infrastructure.
- Zero-downtime deployment has been implemented through a “connection holding” capability.
Community Contribution highlights
- Customers can now successfully complete an order, even if a configurable option has been deleted since placing the product in the cart.
- Magento multi-store installations now use the store view-specific values from the store configuration settings as expected.
- Magento now maintains the default sort order for products (“newest first”) when you upgrade your Magento deployment.
Core Bundled Extension Highlights:
Updates to the core bundled extensions cover Amazon Pay, Dotmailer and Klarna:
- Amazon Pay has been implemented as a Magento payment provider gateway and can now be displayed in the list of payment options. These updates also lead to improved handling of virtual products.
- Dotmailer integration has been updated to improve GDPR compliance, ensuring that Magento syncs only subscribed, opted-in contacts.
- Klarna payments now include automated onboarding and account sign ins. Secure features prevent fraudulent orders from being fulfilled and shipping details have been incorporated with order management calls and capture requests.
Finally, Magento Shipping now includes a Click and Collect feature, as well as Batch Processing, to streamline product delivery. And the Magento Social Facebook integration has been removed entirely, as Magento no longer supports the extension.
Magento Commerce 2.1.15 + Magento Open Source 2.1.15
The release of Magento Commerce 2.1.15 continues to support this slightly older version of the platform. This release also includes multiple security enhancements and a range of bug fixes, alongside community-contributed solutions.
Magento 2.1.15 contains 25 security fixes and enhancements. Functional fixes have been applied to cover a full range of commerce solutions, improving the customer journey and the admin user experience. See Magento Security Centre for more information.
For more information about the future of Magento, or installing these latest updates, get in touch with our experts.