We are delighted to announce that we have been shortlisted as finalists at this year’s DADI Awards. Our work has been recognised amongst the industry’s best not one, not two, but 9 times over!
...And the story of how two unlikely organisations drove innovation in the Drupal Platform.
While delivering continual support for an energy clients Drupal website, we wanted to implement a Postcode Lookup feature, with auto-complete functionality. Existing solutions were either too basic or needlessly expensive, but we couldn’t justify building a new solution from scratch. As luck would have, I discovered at our weekly Drupal 8 meeting that my colleagues working on a Not-For-Profit site required autocomplete capabilities for the address lookup on the donations page.
In the modern workplace, integrating your digital tools has become a necessity. Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, like Dynamics 365, provide a huge network of applications often used in isolation. But, like most things at CTI, we believe tools work best when they work together.
We’re back for Part 2 of this content and search sharing project, so let’s have a quick recap:
In Part 1, we set up migrations to pull in regional content to the national site and configured a Solr core to index them for location searches. Then we altered the Solr queries, so that the default behaviour only shows content from the current site.
The remaining step is to render the search results that come from other sites. The main problem here is that the default Drupal/Solr/Views integration uses Solr to find the content before rendering it through Drupal’s rendering engine. However, the regional sites are unable to render content from the national site... at least not through the usual process.
CTI have recently been working with The Wildlife Trusts to create a platform that will be available to run all of their local trust websites. In addition to their UK-wide site, each regional Trust has their own website (e.g. Surrey Wildlife Trust and North Wales Wildlife Trust). Rather than the overarching case study, this blog post is a deeper technical dive into how we approached two of the key requirements: content sharing and cross-site searching.